ngonzalez

a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

November 23

Filed under: Uncategorized — natashag22 at 7:11 pm on Tuesday, November 23, 2010

“Chapter 42: Bin Laden and Other Thoroughly Modern Muslims”

The chapter begins with undressing the generalizations of Islamic radicals. I will be honest and admit that I never had a clear idea of the Muslim and Islamic religion, and to this moment I can say the same. These cultures, traditions, practices, and religions were not directly around me. Like most people in our society I will admit to being ignorant when it comes to the topic. I’ve made a conscious effort never to assume or make generalizations, but simultaneously have not made an effort to become mindful of the topic either. I was surprised to find that not all leaders are seminaries. Most come from a range of other professions and backgrounds. I wouldn’t assume a priest in the U.S. to have once been a college professor, engineer, or lawyer. It seems as though people interpret the Koran to what best fits them instead of studying the meaning it was intended for. This is how so much diversity and different groups can arise from the same beginnings. I didn’t realize how great a role religion played into the educational system. The state has the power to decide what is put in and what gets left out. This is another factor that adds to the diversity. It is not only important but essential that we realize the diversity and true meanings of these groups. Once we do I believe we will begin to see ourselves reflected in them.

“Audio Stream: In Israel, When a Jew is Not Jewish Enough”

Moving from California to Queens, New York has been a huge adjustment. One of the first differences I noticed on the first day of school was the huge Jewish population here. In California I did not know a single Jewish person. Not one. Jonathan Levit’s story left me in shock. I couldn’t imagine how he felt attempting to go back to his homeland and being denied. Particularly coming from the United States a place where people work so hard to retain their heritage. He describes his frustration of being able to fight and serve Israel, but not being able to become a citizen. I couldn’t help, but compare it to the experiences of current undocumented immigrants. Immigrants, who work, pay taxes, serve in the army and will still be denied citizenship. This group of people are left with no rights or protection in the “land of the free” that they so faithfully serve. Like the man said at the end it is astonishing those sixty years after the Holocaust the biggest issue is that people want to become Jewish. It is obvious that the orthodox and ultraorthodox Jewish want to keep things as pure and traditional as possible. This is something that is almost impossible to do. Things change and evolve over time. When it comes to a culture or religion almost none are in their original form. Maybe it is best looked at not as something weathering away, but instead of as something that is constantly becoming.

No Comments

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.